By Swati Solanki
Packaging Live organised a webinar on Wednesday, 24 June 2020, to discuss digital packaging creating brand new opportunities. There were several speakers including one moderator.
- Nitin Nair, Associate Vice President – Packaging Development, Godrej Consumer Products Ltd.
- Yogesh Bambal, Senior Group Leader – Packaging Chocolate AMEA Region, Mondelez International
- Himanshu Maloo, Director – Supply Chain, Johnson & Johnson, Pharma (Janseen) India
- Sridhar Janardhana, Head-Packaging (Domestic, International & Foods) Marico Limited
- Achintya Lahiri, National Head-Packaging Development and Engineering, Hindustan Coca-cola Beverages
- Meenakshi Sapru, Head Sales, Huhtamaki
- Harveer Sahni, Chairman, Weldon Celloplast
- Appadurai, Country Business Manager, HP Indigo Digital Press- India & Sri Lanka, HP India
The Moderator was Jayesh Pandey, Partner – Management Consulting, PwC India
The major topics discussed included
- Brand Owner Perspective of the Digital Packaging format for their products?
- Is digital a game changer in the Covid Era and there after?
- Global Innovations in Digital Packaging Formats.
Weldon Celloplast, Chairman – Harveer Sahni, discussed the history of different digital technologies such as dry toner based, liquid toner based, water based inkjet, UV inkjet and others.
Huhtamaki – Global Packaging Specialist – Head Sales, Meenakshi Sapru said that the packaging industry is a key component as consumers and other sectors adapt to the Covid outbreak. She mentioned that at Huhtamaki they touched approx 100+ brands that can be used in digital packaging; test marketing, a key factor for sustainable packaging with timelines playing an important part and e-commerce playing a major role. While summarizing her points, there was also a mention of supply chain efficiency, with a major focus on cash flows.
Mondelez Interntional – Yogesh Bambal, Senior Group Leader, said that cost, agility and customization, are key enablers for brands. He highlighted the importance of this technology by which we can personalize packages to be used as gifts; and mentioned the Oreo Music Box.
Marico Limited, Sridhar Janardhana, Head-Packaging spoke of innovation design and sustainability as the three key factors to be keep in mind for digital printing; and drew attention to the option for ‘Flexoprinting”.
Mr. Appadurai, Country Business Manager, HP Indigo Digital Press high lighted new
technologies such as the next level of technology in fighting counterfeits. He also said that Digital printing eliminates many steps of printing process.
It was concluded that digital printing technology is the greenest printing technology today.