Question:Is it essential for a small Coffee Roasting company to have a staff member who has a B.Sc degree? Will an engineering degree do?

Answer: As per one of the conditions of the license, such staff member shall possess at least a degree in Science with Chemistry/Bio Chemistry/Food and Nutrition/Microbiology or a degree or diploma in Food Technology/Dairy Technology/Dairy Microbiology/Dairy Chemistry/ Dairy Engineering/ Oil Technology or any degree or diploma in any other discipline related to the specific requirements of the business from a recognized university or institute or equivalent.

Question: Iunderstand that FSSAI license is required for Tea Trading. If we have the FSSAI license for the tea, can we sell it from our retail outlets directly by weight (weighing in front of customers) instead of individual packing of 50/100/200 gm. If required, the teas can store in big Jars/big fancy cans…. having FSSAI logo/ MRP/ manufacturing and expiry dates.

Answer: There are no restrictions explicitly given under the FSS Regulations on selling Tea in loose form, however as per the Prohibition and Restrictions on Sales Regulation, there is a condition for selling of flavoured tea as; “It shall be sold only in packed conditions with label declaration”.  The retail premises should be licensed from the food authority and you need to follow the conditions of the license. If you are selling tea in prepackaged form then you have to comply with all the labelling guidelines as discussed underFood Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020. You also need to comply with the requirements of the legal metrology while packing in different weights.

Question: What does it actually mean by food grade packing material? Is it polymer migration only?

Answer: The Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) Regulation, 2018 has specified the regulations relating to the packaging of the food materials. Click the below link to read more on this:

Question:How one will identify that the silver leaf which is purchased from the market is pure or not?

Answer: There are guidelines under the food safety regulations which need to be followed by the manufacturers of the silver leaf (Chandikawarq) and the manufacturer will be held responsible if these guidelines are not being properly followed. The standards for silver leaf have been given in regulation no. 2.11.4 of Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulation, 2011.

Question: For a pickle in oil, can the salt percentage be less than 12%?

Answer: No standards for the salt percentage in oil for pickle have been prescribed under the FSS Act, Rules & Regulations.

Question:We are starting a whole Wheat Atta production to sell it in India & export as well. Do we need to get FSSAI registration Or license also? What is the difference between license & registration? We purchase Atta from others and do repack & selling. Then what exactly is required in our case?

Answer: You have to apply for the License/Registration under the FSS Act, 2006. In case of a manufacturer, a license/registration for processing unit needs to be obtained. For repackaging & distribution, the license/registration for the marketer, distributor, supplier etc (Depending on the nature of the business) needs to be applied for. For 100% export of the food articles, the food license for export from the central food authority will have to be obtained. If in case, you are buying stock & repacking in your own brand name then it would need a license for Marketing of the food product.

Question:I am applying for a state license for dairy products manufacturing with a processing capacity of up to 50,000 ltrs. per day. The confusion in filling the form arises at the stage when we fill the quantities of various products like chhach, lassi, paneer etc. The quantities (to be filled in tonnes) – do we need to fill the output quantity of each product or the quantity of milk used in making these products? The reason for the confusion being, with 50K of milk per day we can make up to 1 lac liters of chhach or lassi per day since water is added to make it. Now does that take us out of the state criteria?

What is the maximum quantity in tonnes per year that is allowed under state criteria for all milk products combined?

Answer: The calculation for the processing capacity will be based on; how much quantity of liquid milk is being handled in the respective premises per day. As per the state licensing criteria – 501 to 50,000 LPD of milk or more than 2.5 MT to 2500 MT of milk solids per annum. As per the central licensing criteria – More than 50,000 liters of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum

Question:What is the need of the addition of formalin?

Answer: It is being used as a preservative in the food sample to keep it fit for analysis

Question:What is the difference between misbranding and mislabeling?

Answer: As per the Food Safety & Standards Act, Rules & Regulations, there is no definition given for mislabeling. If there is anything wrong with the declaration on the label then it is called misbranding.