Question: What is ‘Supporting Documentary proof for turnover’? A person wanting to do the wholesale business for pulses in Indiahow will he get this document?

Answer: For a person who is starting a new business and who is not involved with food manufacturing/processing activitycan apply for registration of the food business based on the expected turnover. If a person is expecting a turnover of more than Rs. 12 lakhs in a year then he/she shall apply for the license and if the expected annual turnover is less than Rs. 12 lakhs then he/she shall have to apply for the Registration Certificate. For manufacturing/processing units, the production capacity would be taken into account instead of Annual Turnover.

Question: I have just started the foodservice and doing door delivery and I have only got 3 orders, shall I register for this?

Answer: One has to apply for the license/registration of the food business well before commencement. Please register your food business first then continue.

 Question: I want to start a restaurant business, can you please help me in providing information as to how to go about it?

Answer: For all food businesses, the FSSAI license is a must. Some other necessary approvals / NOCsare also required but under our purview, we can only guide you for queries on FSS Act, Rules & Regulations. Further, you may read this article:

 Question: Are the rules different in the case of Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicines? I heard it is not compulsory to use veg or non-veg mark in case of these medicines? What about the products where no marking is done?

Answer: They are covered under The Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940.

Question: Are GM Foods Safe?

Answer: So far, GM Foods are not allowed to be used for human consumption in our country.  The FSSAI is in the process of framing regulations on GM foods and a draft regulation on the same is under consideration. In the recent last order on GM Foods, the FSSAI has tightened the safety assessments of imported food crops at ports and it is stated; “ensure that only non-GM food crops are imported into India, pending framing of regulations related to genetically-engineered or modified”.

 Question: We are collecting natural forest herbs and doing processing like drying, grading, and packaging & labeling. We wish to know as how to obtain the FSSAI license?

Answer: First of all, it is required to see if your herbal product is considered a food or a drug. If it is a drug (for medicinal use) then it shall be covered under the Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940. If it is a food then it will have to be registered under the FSS Act, 2006. For FSSAI license, you can apply online:

To get more clarity and to see if you food product complies with the definition of food as defined under FSSAI regulations, please read; Food Safety and Standards (Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Food and Novel Food) Regulations, 2016. The same can be downloaded from:

The schedule IV of the said regulation named as “List of plant or botanical ingredients” and which contains all the standardized herbs to be used as; Health Supplement, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose etc. needs to be looked upon to see how your product will be registered under the regulations.

Question: I want to start the dairy business. At the initial stage, the cow milking activity will be done in my shed and then I will sell in the market. Now following are my questions:

1) Do I need to register my company first before applying for the license? And under which category I need to apply?

2) Since I am taking out milk at my shed and selling it in the market, do I need to get two licenses for production and selling?

Answer: 1) Yes, you have to register your business (Proprietary, Partnership, Company etc) and then you can apply for the License/Registration under the Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006.

2) Separate licenses will be required for separate premises; if you have more than one location then you have to take separate license/registration for each of the locations and if you are managing from one location then you have to obtain only one license/registration. If you are distributing and using your own transport then a separate license for the registration of your vehicles will be required.