DuPont Nutrition & Biosciences has announced a new ingredient – HOLDBAC® YM VEGE – as the latest addition to the DuPont™ Danisco® HOLDBAC® line of protective cultures, known for their ability to extend shelf-life and secure the quality of products by holding off yeast and mold spoilage – all without use of synthetic preservatives. Now, HOLDBAC® YM VEGE brings this effective and label-friendly spoilage prevention to plant-based, fermented foods and beverages, at a time when customer demand in this space has never been higher.
“The industry has seen enormous growth for fermented plant-based products in recent years, driven by higher numbers of flexitarian, vegetarian or vegan consumers around the world. These shifts in diets are driven by a number of factors, including a search for improved health that comes with a plant-based diet, ethical choices toward foods with lower environmental impact and which are deemed better for animal welfare, and switching to dairy alternatives for lactose-intolerant consumers,” said Eve Martinet-Bareau, Global Product Manager, Cultures for plant-based fermented food and beverages.
“DuPont Nutrition & Biosciences has been working with customers for decades as consumer demands for plant-based options have increased, and we are constantly looking for ways to innovate in this space,” added Martinet-Bareau. “For example, in May 2018, we launched a new cultures line – Danisco® VEGE Cultures – especially designed for fermented plant-based products, helping customers attain desired taste and texture profiles in a wide variety of plant-based dairy alternatives and beverages.”
However, with that demand came certain challenges for producers of fermented goods, including the need to:
- Gain market share in the fast-growing plant-based food sector;
- consistently ensure high-quality products with the desired taste and texture, particularly across regions with differing consumer preferences;
- secure that quality throughout a product’s shelf-life;
- address the fast-growing demand for friendly labeled consumer products;
- make a substantial contribution to the sustainability of the food and beverage sector; and
- provide consumers with products that improve their health and wellbeing.
“As more consumers look for fermented food and drinks, our HOLDBAC® YM VEGE cultures will help our customers meet that demand.”