More than 200 people have been infected by an intestinal parasite after reportedly eating vegetables from Fresh Del Monte Produce vegetable trays, the federal authorities said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported there were 212 cases of the infection, cyclosporiasis, in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as of Thursday.
Those infected reported eating from the prepackaged vegetable trays, which included broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip. Most of the trays were bought from Kwik Trip or Kwik Star convenience stores in those states, according to the C.D.C.
The infection can cause a host of stomach-related illnesses, fever, and fatigue, and symptoms typically show up one week after the contaminated food was consumed. That means that the number of cases could continue to climb as more people start reporting their illnesses.
It is also one of the main reasons that cyclosporiasis is so difficult to understand, said Michael T. Osterholm, a professor at the University of Minnesota and an international food-borne disease expert.
Last month, Del Monte recalled three of its products in stores in six states in the Midwest: six-, 12- and 28-ounce vegetable trays that had broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots and dill dip. All those products had a “best if enjoyed by” date of June 17.
The recalls affected Illinois and Indiana, in addition to the four states where the infections have been reported. The C.D.C. encouraged people to throw away any of the recalled vegetable trays.
Source: By Mihir Zaveri-The New York Times